Thursday 8 May 2014

Hexagon crochet cardigan

Finished my first crochet cardie for Ticket. Quite proud of myself as I haven't made a cardie before, although not enough to pick buttons and get Ticket to wear it.

Can give you a sneaky preview since you asked so nicely. I will even show you what buttons I am thinking of eventually getting round to sewing on.


What do you think?

Its the Hexagon sweater revisited pattern from Cozy'z corner.  It is very easy to follow.  Effectively you make two curly hexagons and you sew together to form the cardigan.  What you need to do is sew two sides from each hexagon together and then you need to sew the shoulders shut.  It will make sense when you have them infront of you.

I made it with three balls of Rowan Savannah and it fits my rather big 6 month old Ticket quite nicely.  Hoping it will fit for a while, fingers crossed.  I've slgithly editted Cozy's pattern below, to to achieve a similar result to mine (and also how it made sense in my head).  Cosy's pattern is in US terms [dc is actually a tr for us UK folk]. Hope you find it helpful. Good Luck.

Ch 6, join yarn with a sl st to form a ring. Alternatively form a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), 2 dc in ring, *ch 2, 3 dc in ring, repeat from * 4 times, ch 1, hdc into top of beg ch 3 (6 sets of 3 dc clusters).

Round 2: ch 3, dc in same space, *dc in each dc, 2 dc in 2ch space, ch 2, 2 dc in 2ch space still, repeat from * 4 times, dc in each dc, 2dc in 2ch sp, ch 1, hdc in top of ch 3.

Rounds 3 - 12: Repeat round 2

At the end of round 2 fasten off. 

Make a second hexagon leaving about a yard of yarn for use in stitching.

Sew the 2 hexagons together along one side and then fold each side to form a T shape. The seam you just sewed is the center back, and the tops of the sleeves will be  left open. 

Sew the top of sleeve seams from the cuff edge to 9cm (3.5 inches) from each front edge.

Cuffs
Join yarn with sl st at the inside side of the current cuff edge. Ch 3, dc in next 4 dc, * dc dec over next 2 sts, dc in next 5 sts, repeat around, join with a sl st in top of beg ch 3.

Round 2: Repeat round 1

Round 3: Ch 1, sc in each st around, join with sl st in beg ch, fasten off, weave in ends.

Repeat for other sleeve.

Adding length (optional)
join yarn with sl st at current waist edge. Ch3, dc in each st all the way around the bottom edge. Ch3 turn and repeat until you reach the desired length.

Edging
join yarn with sl st at neck edge . Ch 1, sc in same st, (you can sc up to where you would like the first button to be) *ch 3, sk 1 st, sc in next st (button loop made), sc in next 10 sts, repeat from * 3 times, sc in last dc, 2 sc, ch 2, 2 dc in corner ch loop, dc in each st all the way around the bottom edge to other front corner, 5 dc in corner ch loop, dc in each st up front (for button band) to neck edge, ch 1, turn, sc in each st down front and across back ending at bottom front corner. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Sew buttons on button band opposite button loops.  (Try to get round to it, don't be lazy like me)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for asking. Your notes are fine. I have had a really bad couple of years and have been very lax in keeping up with my blog. I lost both my mother and my husband last summer after taking care of both of them for 10 and 3 years respectively. I am just now beginning to crawl out of the hole and trying to catch up. I am in the process of taking pictures to post to my blog of the construction process for the hexagon sweater.

    ReplyDelete